Driving licenses in the UAE are issued individually by each emirate and are valid for use across the entire UAE.
There’s a number of criteria to satisfy before you can qualify for a driver’s license but being a resident within the UAE is the most basic one to meet. So whether you need a driver’s license in Dubai or elsewhere in the UAE, the process is much the same.
Documents you will need when applying for a UAE driving license:
• a valid residency visa in the UAE
• a copy of your passport and the original
• 8 recent passport photographs
• a no objection letter (NOC) from your employer or sponsor
• Results from a successful eye test from an optician, driving school or any of the eye testing clinics located in/near RTA offices
• Original and copy of an existing driver’s license from your home country (only if you have this)
Once you’ve got your paperwork in order, you can begin the process of getting your driving license in Dubai or anywhere else in the UAE.
Do you have a driving license from these 31 approved countries?
Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Kuwait, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States.
If you have a driving license from the above approved countries, then you don’t need to take any driving tests. Your license will be transferred to a UAE driving license. Simply pass the eye test, have your paperwork in order, pay the relevant fees and you will be issued with a brand new UAE driving license in minutes. (List of countries obtained from Government of Dubai website: http://www.dubai.ae/en/Lists/HowToGuide/DispForm.aspx?ID=11 – last updated 18 April 2017)
If you don’t have a driving license from the above approved countries, then you will need to pass theory and road driving tests first in order to get your driving license in Dubai or elsewhere in the UAE.
Here’s what you need to do next:
1. Take the documents listed above along with your results from the eye test to your driving school or any RTA office.
2. After the paperwork is processed and approved, you will receive a temporary driving permit which should be with you whenever you are taking driving lessons and your road test.
3. You will need to take lessons through a driving school and once ready, will be given dates for both theory and road tests.
Once you pass your final test, you will receive a pass from your instructor which you can take to an RTA office or counter and submit your paperwork listed above. You will then be required to take a new photograph for your driving license and will receive your brand new UAE driving license shortly thereafter.
You’re going to need a car once you get your driver’s license and getthat is a great place to start. Check out the many cars for sale in UAE available right now. There’s lots of cars for sale in Dubai and you can also find a bargain when looking at cars for sale in Sharjah with many second hand and near new cars available.
Subscribe to the latest product updates, tips on finding the best jobs and candidates and so much more with getthat alerts. You can turn it off anytime by clicking on the notification icon.Subscribe
Go to your browser settings or preferences.
Check the permissions for notifications.
Change block to allow